Friday, December 12, 2008

Wind beats solar


Because many people know that I was a pioneer of photovoltaic electricity production connected to the grid, I'm often asked by people considering setting up their own installation if there is any serious maintenance issue.

My response has always been "No, apart from clean up the dust from time to time in summer, and checking that the fuses are still up after thunderstroms, the only thing you need to do is collect the data at the end of each month, and send your invoice to the utility that buys the power you send them".

But now, I'll have to add...as long as no tree falls on your installation!

I'm going to have a busy week-end clean up the mess, as you can see on the photo. A bit of an unfair competition on the part of the Wind energy sector, isn't it?

The good news is that it's happening to me in December when solar energy production is the lowest in the Northern Hemisphere. If I get everything back to normal fast, the loss will have been minimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment