Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Four Fish


I'm glad I'm Washington DC this week, because it gave the opportunity last night to attend Paul Greenberg's entertaining presentation of his recently published book Four Fish, about the fate of salmon, tuna, bass and cod. Four Fish is destined to become a classic, not only for people concerned with marine biodiversity but also with culinary diversity and food traditions.

"Today, rampant overfishing and an unprecedented biotech revolution have brought us to a point where wild and farmed fish occupy equal parts of a complex and confusing marketplace. We stand on the edge of a cataclysm; there is a distinct possibility that our children's children will never eat a wild fish that has swam in the sea". That should keep me awake on my flight home tomorrow.

The book presentation was at Politics & Prose, the most wonderful (and the most progressive, I suppose) bookstore in the US capital, with so many attractive rarities that, hadn't I controlled myself I'm sure I'd ended up paying for excess baggage on my way home tomorrow.

On my signed copy of Four Fish, Paul wrote "Rémi, save the whales...and the tuna". Right, we're working on that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment